Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Just what I was craving.

I wanted to write my posts this week on two books that I have read in the past. The first being The Hunger Games. When I first read this book (close to 2 years ago now) it was at the beginning of the new dystopian craze and this was the first book (to my knowledge) that got me hooked onto the genre. I was coming off of a really big change in my life when I picked up this book. I was immediately hooked by the similarities to the characters. Now, I am not saying that I too struggle with the choice between saving my 'sister' from a fight to the death, or that I am just barely managing to stay alive by the berries and illegal hunting in the woods, but at that time in my life I was vulnerable.

I think it is important to not only see Katniss as a strong character, but as a vulnerable one. Because of her vulnerability, she forced herself to be the strong woman that she is portrayed to be in the book. I think one of the reasons that we find ourselves so drawn to this series, and many of the new dystopian series that are coming about right now, is because we attach ourselves to one or two aspects of the characters and hope for  an outlet for our own fears and vulnerabilities. These characters who have much more difficult lives, who experience things that may in some way be comparable to our own lives, are able to overcome and persevere with all of the odds stacked against them.

I think for me, it isn't nor wasn't about the series of events that Katniss faced. (While entertaining and captivating) It was about her perseverance and her strength. I do look forward to rereading the books in the near future to compare my opinions about the book from when I had read it 2 years ago, compared to now. How will my opinions of the book change? What things will become forefront ideas and concepts that maybe weren't the first time around? Who will Katniss be this time?

I am not a reader that typically rereads and analyzes time and time again, but I am eager to use this opportunity to maybe find something new to grab onto.

No comments:

Post a Comment